2021 has finally arrived. As most anticipate a better year in both health and in business, companies will continue to face new technological challenges brought about by the pandemic.
Business owners learned a lot in 2020 about the type of technology it takes today to run a successful company. When times became uncertain and normal operations were interrupted, companies adapted to optimize critical IT services. The fast change helped them not only survive and but also thrive.
Unfortunately while many successful companies quickly transitioned and made adjustments, others did not. The slow adapters no doubt suffered a negative impact on sales, recruiting, and growth opportunities.
Though the pandemic winds are starting to shift, this year will surely continue to present more challenges. Here then are five IT strategies to help ensure your business is ready to succeed during the next 12 months.
1. Review your technology for deficiencies and gaps. The pandemic put a lot of strain on companies and pushed technological solutions to the limit. The “trial by fire” in 2020 has given business leaders an opportunity to see the IT gaps preventing them from reaching future business goals. Many have had to modernize their tech services more quickly than originally planned. Companies should take the time to review and address all of their vulnerabilities with their internal IT team. An outsourced firm may be needed to be brought in to ensure all needs are discovered and addressed.
2. Continue to enhance remote access. The world was already becoming more decentralized as the amount of online business transactions continued to increase in 2020. Due to current events the digital shift has accelerated even further. Therefore it has become even more crucial for employees to stay connected and productive as limitations prevent them from working in the office. Secure remote access makes it possible to maintain business continuity even when people have to work at home. Businesses should invest in optimizing connectivity and do so in a manner that is safe and secure.
3. Focus on products to improve the remote experience. A virtual meeting should not be compromised by poor sound and video quality. It can leave a bad impression with sales prospects, executive meetings, and interviews with job candidates. Companies should focus on reliable and high performing products whether they be headphones, microphones or cameras. The proper high-speed carrier should be utilized to avoid interruptions and dropped calls. Employees should have a solid virtual desktop solution connecting them to the main office with access to files, folders and more.
4. Stay updated on the latest IT threats. As IT services continue to evolve and improve in the new paradigm, hackers continue to evolve as well. These cyber pirates continue to get more sophisticated. Staying ahead of ransomware and cybersecurity threats can seem like a full-time job. Companies should charge their internal teams with the right training and products to avoid any type of digital intrusion.
5. Utilize outside resources as needed. The pace at which technology changes makes it difficult for business leaders to keep up. They have bigger things to focus on than the latest and greatest IT Services. Between meaningless buzzwords and technical jargon, some IT strategies start to read like alphabet soup. If an internal team is not capable of handling all facets of a technology strategy it will be important to form a partnership with a managed service provider or MSP. The MSP will take the time to explain the true business benefits behind the technology. Partnering with accomplished technology experts makes it easier easy to co-create a customized blend of the most important IT service you need to reach your goals in the new year.